When the electrical wiring in your home starts to have issues, it can often go unnoticed. However, if you know what to look and listen for, you can be prepared when problems do arise.
- A Tripping Circuit Breaker
Everyone’s experienced a circuit breaker tripping and the lights suddenly going out. It’s typically an easy fix—you just go flip the switch back on. However, if a circuit breaker is tripping frequently, it’s most likely because it’s being overloaded, and that’s dangerous. It may also be a sign of a short in the wiring. This is also dangerous, as it could start a fire.
- Buzzing Lights and Outlets
If you hear a buzz every time your lamp or light is on, this could be because of a bad wire. It may also be a slight vibration or shock instead of a buzz. If this is happening, you need to have an electrician check your wiring as a faulty wire could lead to fires. The same applies to buzzing electrical outlets or outlets that are hot to the touch or have char marks.
- The Smell of Burning Plastic/Vinyl
Did you know that electrical wiring can become extremely hot and “burn” for years before it turns into a fire? It’s true, and it’s scary. If you experience the odor of burning vinyl or plastic but can’t locate it, you may have super-heated wiring in your home. Contact an electrician immediately for help.
- Flickering Lights
When lights flicker a lot (or dim a lot), it’s often because of appliances. However, if you’re finding that multiple fixtures flicker and dim—meaning, not just one lamp or one overhead light—then you need to ask an electrician what’s going on.
If you’ve noticed any of these warning signs in your home or business, please call Taurus Electrical Services. We are dedicated electricians who can handle your wiring issues. Contact us at 707-430-0222 or 530-723-5614 to get started today.